Google Webmaster and Google Analytics (GA) both are the must-have free tools offered by Google to gain deep insights into visitors and traffic. Analytics offers an insight on how a user is coming and interacting with the content on the website. GA can provide detailed information on how users are viewing your website, how they are interacting with the navigation, which content is most popular and much more detailed data. But before you think about using it, you should know how to install it properly to track the information. Follow these steps to install Google Analytics tracking on your website:
Step 1 – Create or Use an Existing Google Account
If you own an existing Gmail account, you don’t need to create a new one and you can move to the next step. If you don’t have a Gmail account, follow these steps:
- Click on the Link to Create a Google
- Fill out all the information in the form and click on Next Step
Your Google or Gmail account is ready to use now! You can move to the second step now
Step 2: Setup Google Analytics with your Gmail Account
Since you are logged into your Gmail account, go to the Google Analytics Homepage https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/
- Click on the Sign-Up button
- Since we are tracking the data of a Website here, we are going to set up Google Analytics for a website, not a mobile app. Hence make sure that you select “Website” at the top
- Complete the Following information on this page:Account Name: We used to use the Name of the Company in this section (It’s up to you)
- Website Name: Website Name without Spaces
- Website URL: Complete URL of the website
- Industry Category: Category in which your websites falls
- Reporting Time Zone: Time Zone for Google Analytics Reports
- Once you fill out the details, click on the “Get Tracking ID” button
- A pop-up of Google Analytics Terms of Service Agreement will appear and you will need to accept this agreement to get tracking id
- Once you accept the terms, you will be presented with a unique tracking code that will need to be installed on your website:
Step 3 – Installing the Tracking Code Properly
- In order to enable the Google Analytics Tracking, you will need to install the tracking code on every page of the website.
- Copy and Paste the tracking code either in the header or footer of the website.
- If you are installing the tracking code in the header of the website, make sure the tracking code is placed in the head tag. (It’s always recommended)
- If you are installing the tracking code to the footer file, make sure the code is added before the closing </html> tag.
Step 4 – Make Sure Tracking Code is placed on All Pages
If you have an e-commerce website or a website with lots of pages, it might be time-consuming to check the code on every page so gachecker.com is a very handy tool to scan up to 10,000 pages of the website to see if the code exists on all the pages. All you need to do is enter the name of your website and click on “Check your Site” button.
Now that you have added the tracking code on all the pages of the website, it’s going to take 24 hours for Google to start collecting and showing data from your website.
In the next chapter, we will discuss the Dashboard of the GA Tool.